Share this Post
What if your child were one day elected to be your city’s mayor? Or your state’s governor? Or your country’s president?
What would you wish for them? What prayers would you circle around them?
Before he died, King David appointed his son Solomon to be king of Israel after him. He knew first-hand what struggles his son would face. He understood the temptations that would come before young Solomon. He had already experienced how hard the job was! I have never been a king, president, governor, or mayor. I wouldn’t necessarily know how to best pray for my son or daughter in their leadership position. I would certainly appreciate David’s guidance in how to pray.
Meanwhile, my children are still growing up, but someone else’s sons and daughters fill the offices of president, vice-president, governors, and mayors. I’m sure I couldn’t go wrong praying a royal father’s prayer over these sons and daughters. It doesn’t matter that they are not my flesh and blood. It matters that leaders need prayer… and that we are commanded to pray for them.
Psalm 72 is David’s prayer for his son Solomon.
- Pray for our leaders to love justice and righteousness.
- Pray for wisdom and the fear of God.
- Pray for good relations with other leaders.
- Pray for compassion for the poor, the oppressed, and the orphans.
- Pray for his/her prosperity, health, and long life.
- Pray for the prosperity of our cities, states, and country.
- Praise God for His blessing on leaders who love Him.
Will you join the thousands who are renewing their prayers for our nation’s leaders?